Table of Contents
Have you ever heard the saying, “product launch failed“?
This is the phrase that no marketer or product manager ever wants to hear. A lot of times, product launches fail because of a lack of planning.
It happens to even the most seasoned entrepreneurs. You’ve worked tirelessly for months (or years), and you’re finally ready to show the world your creation.
The product launch is one of the most critical components of bringing a new product to market successfully. It’s the process of bringing a new product or service to market.
Product launches can be complex and costly, so it’s important to plan and execute a product launch strategy carefully.
This guide will walk you through the steps necessary to create a product launch marketing plan. We’ll also provide some tips on how to execute that plan effectively. So, whether you’re just starting or looking for ways to improve your existing plan, read on for tips and advice to help you succeed.
Why Is It Necessary to Have a Marketing Plan for a Product Launch?
You might be wondering why it’s necessary to have a marketing plan for a product launch. After all, can’t you just put the product out there and see what happens?
Unfortunately, it’s not that simple. In today’s competitive marketplace, a product launch is a complex undertaking. There are a lot of moving parts, and things can quickly go off the rails if you’re not careful.
According to Harvard Business School professor Clayton Christensen, more than 30,000 new consumer products are introduced every year, with 80% failing.
The odds are not in your favor. So, how can you increase your chances of success?
By having a comprehensive marketing plan, you can increase your chances of success. A marketing plan will help you to:
- Define your target market
- Develop messaging and positioning that resonates with your target market
- Create a go-to-market strategy
- Set objectives and track progress
- Allocate resources efficiently
- Possible successful product launch
A product launch marketing plan is a roadmap that will help you navigate the complex process of launching a new product. It will help you to make decisions about everything from target market to product positioning.
10 Key Steps To Create Marketing Plan For A Product Launch
1. Define Your Target Market And Audience Needs
First of all, you need to understand who your product or service is for? What needs does it address? What challenges and frustrations your target market experience that your product can help them overcome? You need to be able to answer these questions before you can create an effective digital marketing strategy.
2. Research Your Competition
Once you know your target audience and their needs, it’s time to research your competition thoroughly. This will give you an idea about their strategies to market their products and how you can improve upon them. There are several ways to research your competition:
- Find out who your main competitors are. You can use tools like Google AdWords Keyword Planner and Google Trends to find out the keywords used by your competitors in their ads.
- It will give you an idea about their marketing strategy and the specific products they target.
- Analyze their online presence. Take a look at their website, social media profiles, and blog posts. See how they are interacting with their customers.
- It will give you an idea about their overall launch strategy and relationship with their customers.
3. Identify Your Unique Selling Proposition (USP)
What makes your product or service different from your competitor’s? What are the unique features that make it better than the others? This is what you need to highlight in your marketing strategy. Your USP should set you apart and make you more attractive to your target customers.
4. Create A Messaging Strategy
Now that you know your target audience and what they want, it’s time to create a messaging strategy that will appeal to them. The messaging should be in line with your USP and should be able to communicate the value of your product or service.
5. Develop A Lead Generation Strategy
A lead generation strategy is a plan to generate leads for your business. This can be done through various marketing channels such as email marketing, social media, or paid advertising. The aim is to attract potential customers to your product or service to convert them into leads.
6. Support Pre-Sales Activities
Pre-launch stage includes the activities done before the actual sale takes place. This includes creating awareness about the product or service, generating interest, and building trust with the potential customer. All of this is done to make the actual sale easier.
They can include creating a sales page for your product, designing marketing materials like brochures and flyers, or running paid advertising campaigns.
7. Plan Launch Timing And Budget
The timing and budget of your product launch are key factors that will determine the success of your campaign. Your marketing plan should include the milestones you need to meet to successfully market your product launch within a specific time frame and a set budget.
8. Create Branding And Marketing Materials
Branding and marketing materials are crucial elements of any marketing campaign before and after your product launch. This includes logos, business cards, social media profiles, web design, website content, etc., depending on where you want to focus your marketing efforts. You can guide the sales and marketing teams accordingly.
9. Support Post-Launch Activities
Once your product has been launched, it’s essential to continue supporting it with ongoing marketing activities. This includes creating new content for your website and social media profiles, running marketing campaigns, and engaging with your customers regularly.
10. Evaluate Results And Adjust Course If Necessary
Once your product launch is complete, it’s essential to take a step back and evaluate the results. Was the campaign successful? What could be improved? What worked well and what didn’t? Based on these questions, you can then adjust the marketing strategy of the sales team accordingly for future product launches.
Other Tips To Follow
Some other tips for creating a product launch marketing strategy include:
- Research The Space In-Depth: It is essential to understand the market, the competition, and what type of product launch will be the most successful.
- Focus On A Buyer Persona: It will help you create a more targeted marketing campaign and ensure that your message resonates with your new and existing customers.
- Write A Mock Press Release: This will help you prepare all the promotional materials, such as press kits, social media posts, advertisements, etc.
- Get Involved In The Beta: Being directly involved in user testing and feedback can help identify potential issues with your product or marketing campaign.
- Set Ambitious Goals: Having clear goals and milestones will allow you to track your progress throughout the product launch process and make any necessary adjustments.
- Get The Market-Ready: This may involve planning early promotions, reaching out to influencers or bloggers in your niche, or developing content that attracts attention to your brand.
- Build Compelling Creative Assets: Whether it’s a video advertisement, an eye-catching infographic, or a high-performance interactive website, your creative assets should be high-quality and engaging.
- Choose The Correct Channels: There are various ways to reach your target audience, so choosing the channels that will be most effective for your product launch is essential. It can be social media marketing, SEO, influencer marketing, or others.
- Make It An Event: By turning your product launch into an event, you can create a sense of excitement and anticipation around your new product.
- Lean Into The Momentum: After all your and the marketing team hard work, it’s crucial to capitalize on the momentum of your product launch and continue promoting your product in the weeks and months following the launch.
The product launch is an important milestone for any business. By following these simple tips, you’ll be on your way to successfully promoting your new product and seeing increased sales. Have any questions about how to apply these concepts? Or have you launched a product before? If so, what tips would you add to this list? Let us know in the comments below.
Turn strategy into projects & goals
Glowtify is a free marketing software designed to fuel marketing strategies and accelerate eCommerce growth with highly actionable goals backed by data.Try it - it's free